Calling all of your Backyard BBQ RIBS Smoking Chefs - Gather up your team of friends or neighbors for a BBQ Throw Down Competition.
“Now it is time to show off your BBQ smoking skills - Iron Chef White Bear Style”
Entry Deadline Monday August 28th, 2017
Entries are scored in three area:
These are judged by a team of local judges. Top 3 winners cash prizes and awards. All meat will be provided to all teams- no outside meat will be allowed. Each Team will receive 4 baby back rib racks with their entry fee. Cooking teams will consist of a head cook and up to 3 assistants.
Each team provides their own cooking device and all equipment necessary for cooking; worktables, chairs, tent or canopy. All seasoning and cooking of meat is done within the confines of the teams designed cooking area. No open flame cooking will be permitted.
$100 entry fee. No late entries will be allowed. This event is non -sanctioned. 15 team limit.
September 10th, 2017
Set up 6:00 am - 7:30 am
Team Meeting and Meat Distribution 7:30 am Cooking time 8:30am - 3:00 pm
Judging and Peoples Choice Tasting 3:00 - 4:00 pm Awards at 4:30 pm
Backyard BBQ Throw Down Competition Guidelines
1. All cooking teams consist of one head cook and up to 3 assistants. Each team provides their own cooking device, and all equipment necessary for cooking, worktable, chairs, tent or canopy. All seasoning and cooking of meat is done within the confines of the teams’ designated cooking space.
2. Sponsorships are allowed and encouraged to help defer your costs. You may advertise your sponsors within the boundaries of your cooking area and must be family appropriate in nature. Quick setup tents may be used for sun/rain protection. Tents must be secured by weight (water or sand pails, not provided), not stakes pounded into the ground. Electricity will not be supplied to area. No open flame cooking will be permitted.
3. There is a 15 team limit with an entry fee of $100.. Entry Deadline is Monday August 28, 2017. No Late Entries will be allowed. This event is Non-Sanctioned.
4. Meat will be provided to all teams and no outside meat will be allowed. Each team will receive4 baby back racks with their entry fee. Additional racks will be available to purchase if teams wish for $10 each. Please indicate how many additional racks you wish to purchase on your entry form.
5. Each team must turn in three individual bones each for judging. Turn in time is 3:00pm. Late entries will not be accepted. Time will be displayed on the turn in table. It is the official time.
6. Entries are scored in areas of APPEARANCE, TENDERNESS/TEXTURE, and TASTE by a team 3 judges. The scoring system is from 5(best) to 1(worst) a score of 0 is a disqualification and must be approved by the head judge. Scoring is based on total points earned, not on an average. If there is a tie the lowest score is dropped to determine a winner. If still tied the highest score in the taste category determines the winner.
7. Garnish is not considered in the scoring of the entry. Only meat and garnish is allowed in the container, no toothpicks, skewers, foil, foreign material or stuffing is permitted.
8. No side sauce containers are permitted in the meat containers. Meats may be presented with or without sauce on it as the contestant wishes. Remember, this is a meat contest not a sauce contest so don't apply sauce so thick that you can't taste the meat. Too much sauce can affect the overall score.
9. Ruling of the head judge on all matters is final. No contestants allowed in the judging area during judging.
10. People’s Choice category will be judged by Public purchasing a $10 Ballot and visiting competing booths for their samples. Ballots will then be turned in and tallied with the top vote getter winning people's choice trophy. People’s Choice award will be based on taste only.
11. Preparing and cooking for the People's Choice Contest is concurrent with the ribs contest. After the ribs are turned in, judging of the ribs will be performed by the public. Contestants may serve samples as they wish,(one rib bone per contestant) however, keep in mind this is a meat contest and anything else served with the sample other than appropriate amount of sauce/seasoning on sample will disqualify a team.
12. Ballots will be tallied by the judges at conclusion of judging time and the team with the most votes will win the trophy for People's Choice Contest. If there is a tie, the judges will determine the winner.
13. Behavior - Every team, including members and guests, are expected and required to exhibit proper and courteous behavior at all times. No carry-on Alcohol is permitted. Swearing is not permitted. Teams must maintain a family-appropriate atmosphere at all times. Failure to adhere to these requirements is an automatic disqualification.
14. C.G. Hooks Eatery, Tally's Dockside, and event judges or workers are not responsible for any accidents/injuries/illness as a result of contest participation.